Friday, April 4, 2014

A to Z Challenge catch up: B-Believe (a soapbox rant)

Soap Box time for my A to Z Challenge. B: Believe.

Well, I believe someone has lost her ever-lovin' mind! I woke up really wanting grapes this morning so I left early enough to stop by Wal-Mart on my way to work. I believe that was a mistake! After searching the entire produce section a couple of times for a sign indicating that they sold organic and/or non-gmo fruits & veggies I decided I'd ask for help.
    I "believed" that this would be a simple, yes or no conversation. Oh how wrong I was.
The look I was given by this woman after asking about organic or non-gmo produce was priceless. You'd have thought I'd asked her if I could boil her first born in acid in preparation for  a late night snack. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no granola lovin', tree huggin', skinny mini perfect Mom who is scared to shampoo her hair. However, I do want to be healthier & due to some medical issues I prefer to "try" to stay away from chemical junk when I can, firmly believing that gmo's have a huge negative impact on our health. That does not mean that I never eat processed or non-organic foods, I just do the best I can when I can.
    Back to my little conversation in Wal-Mart. After receiving the horrid look she says "honey, if dey was grown in da ground, dey is organic". To which I replied "no,  I'm talking about foods that are grown with no chemicals, poisons etc being put on them" Hillbilly Bess, as I've chosen to name her, proceeds to tell me that "you cain't grow foods without dem chemicals".  This is when I patiently & kindly explain to her that yes, you can grow food without chemicals & poisons & that I garden & don't ever use any of that stuff in my garden.
    I informed her that horse (or cow or chicken) poo can be used for compost & that there are other ways to keep bugs & pests from the garden. She proceeds to tell me that "People from Alabama don't care about organic 'cause it's all organic if it's grown in da ground"
Anyhoo, you get the gist, she was ignorant & I wanted to educate her with a golf shoe to the face. Of course, I didn't, I was polite & just moved on but here is my issue:
WHY do people "believe" what they hear & see on commercials, food boxes, articles etc without questioning it? Do you believe it when certain companies tell you that their food is "natural"? Do you even care? I guess a lot of people don't care & that's ok, that's on them, not me. But what gets me is the misinformation. Somewhere along the line someone told little Hillbilly Bess that everything that grows is organic & most likely insinuated that chemicals are a necessary evil in gardening. The ignorance makes me want to scream. Who in this day & age would go along & just believe everything they're told without trying to get a clue.
       I'm a true blue American woman, I love my country but I know this country has allowed chemical crap to take over our food supply & it pisses me off to no end! But what pisses me off even more is that there are so many people who just blindly believe the bs they're being told about our food supply. Believe? Believe who? The companies who count on you purchasing their foods, do you think maybe they're going to tell us what we want to hear in order to get that almighty dollar? Or is their possibly a chance that they are upstanding, honest & genuinely care about our health, the health of our children, our children's children?
       Sorry, maybe I'm jaded but I just don't BELIEVE that they care. I truly BELIEVE that the powers that be are out to save a buck, make a buck & damn the losses that occur in the mean time. Who cares that auto-immune diseases have grown exponentially since processed foods came on the market, not to mention the rise in cancers & a myriad of other medical issues?......ok, I'm a bit off topic now. Back to Hillbilly Bess. She to me is a shining (ok, maybe not shining, maybe dull & dirty) example of ignorance in America as to what is going on in our own lives because she chooses to BELIEVE whatever crap is fed to her, literally and figuratively.
     So, ladies & gentlemen, can we please just agree to educate ourselves on things that matter? Let's not believe everything you hear on FOX, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC etc, research, figure it out! (Um, there is one exception, bash me if you want, but I do believe what Dr. Oz says, he's pretty freakin' awesome in my humble opinion)
So...BELIEVE this, or don't:
*GMO's Suck
*eating foods with GMO's can & will harm you eventually
*People like Hillbilly Bess give people like me, from Alabama, a bad name.
*I believe Hillbilly Bess is the reason why people from surrounding counties make fun of people from Lawrence County, it's all her fault & I want her tarred & feathered sooner rather than later
*I'm done ranting & stepping off my soapbox, if you made it this far God Bless you  ;)

oh P.S. I DID buy some grapes, they were probably loaded with stuff I don't want to know about. BUT I made a choice. I knew they were not GMO-free or organic & it was my option to buy them anyway because I really wanted grapes. They tasted great, I do have some guilt over it but in this world with this economy eating even 50% organic and/or GMO-free is just not realistic for me. So, I do what I can when I can.
Click HERE for Straight up GMO Info

No comments:

Post a Comment