Friday, April 11, 2014

A to Z Challenge G Good Books

G...Good Books  aka Books that have touched me or won't leave me

I guess the first of these would have to be



*The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Characters from this book are still with me, I still wish & hope for a 2nd book, I know a lot of people thinks she just writes fluff but this book, it's story line & her characters still reside in my soul & always will.

*The Velvet Room by Zilpha Snyder was the first book I can remember reading that hit me hard & made me want to live at the library devouring every book in sight. I've probably read this book 10 times over the course of my life & will likely read it 10 more before it's all said & done. I just loved the imagery in this book & related to the main character as any angst ridden preteen or teenage girl would. For library lovers, there is a special treat in this book....check it out, literally! GO CHECK IT OUT!


*I know this one will be an eye-roller for some of you, but I ADORE The Harry Potter Series.
I was a late bloomer on this one, only read them a few months ago but became completely engrossed in the characters lives, traits & story lines. I fell in love with them. I thought I loved the movies but that was NOTHING compared to the connection I felt to the characters while reading the books.
I read them at the urging of my youngest daughter. She is a die-hard Potter-Head...she loves ALL THINGS Potter & thinks that those who don't appreciate Potter should not be allowed to breathe on this planet. I am no where near that intense about it BUT I do love to read what she does so that we can discuss the books.

If you have never read these books, whatever the reason, give them a chance. Take some time off from real life & lose yourself in a little magic & love & join Dumbledore's Army, if only for a while.
ALWAYS

*This was my first "grownup book" even though I was far from being grown.
Stephen King's The Stand
It scared me, it thrilled me, it kept me from sleeping & made me an obsessive (just one more chapter) reader. I still love this book & because of it am a HUGE fan of Post-Apocalyptic Fiction, it remains my favorite genre (closely  followed by Dystopian Fiction)

I am thinking of getting this for my 14 yr old daughter, that's how old I was when I read it & she's far more intelligent & well read than I was at that age....I think it's time she met Mr. King.....after all, Mommy's bedroom is just across the hall if it gets to be too much bwaa haa haa

*As I'm sure you've picked up on...I, an old lady, do love YA fiction.....sue me, shoot me...I don't care, I love it.
So, here's one more for that genre....
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
This man is a genius & his quotes make my heart swell  <3


I first read this series when I was about 10....in our sunroom in our house in Florida we had an antique wardrobe that used to belong to my Great Granny. My Mom would let me borrow Dad's flashlight & sit in the wardrobe reading my Narnia books & I would drift away to fantasy land. If there is any better place to visit Narnia than from your Granny's wardrobe I sure can't think of it. C.S. Lewis in my opinion is so gifted a writer that to even try to describe him or his style is to fail before beginning. I just adore him, his works, his love of God, his love of people & children but most of all his Chronicles of Narnia where one can get lost in good vs evil, right vs wrong, love, battles, fantastical creatures & never ending imagination......this one, ladies & gentlemen is the one to share with those young readers within whose hearts & minds you want to cultivate a love of reading.
Take my advice, I'm right!

When is the last time you gave someone a book? Too long?
Go......do it now, bless someone with a trip away from reality between the pages of a book....you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment