Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A to Z Challenge S Sipsey

Sipsey River
Being married to an Air Force Sgt. we've lived & travelled all over the world. Idaho, New Mexico, Michigan, Tennessee, Florida, Germany, Belgium, France, Luxemburg & my favorite place of all Alabama.
Although I do love my entire home state, mountains, beaches, swamp...all of it. There is one place that holds my heart like no other, The Sipsey River in The Bankhead National Forest.
The picture below is just a small glimpse of the beauty that Sipsey has to offer. It's a gorgeous place filled with wonder & steeped in history. Many places along the river have "swimming holes", large boulders to sun on or for the more adventurous, to dive off of.
     I spent most of my teenage years in a constant state of crisis of some form or another. There was a lot of family drama, alcoholism etc. But this was my safe place, my getaway. Or as my chubby little friend Pooh would say, my thinking spot.
No drama, no yelling. Just the sights & sounds of nature & the infectious laughter of my friends.
Now it's my family's get away spot, every year as the temperature rises, the flowers begin to bloom & spring fever hits us all we head out to Sipsey for the first of many hikes for the year. Soon it will be warm enough to dive in & float the day away, the beautiful blue-green water taking our cares & stress with it as it goes down the mountain. If there is anything as calming as hearing the sounds of nature, smelling that sickly sweet smell of honeysuckle & mountain laurel & feeling isolated from the hustle & bustle of daily life I don't know what it is. This is my happy place. 
Do you have a favorite spot that instantly calms you?

No comments:

Post a Comment